Bigger isn't always better

Changing the coilovers had already done loads for the vans handling but it was now time to go full comfort and loose the 20"s

Decisions, Decisions.

I wanted to go for some "19 RS4 style wheels like the ones on the left.
I spent an absolute age shopping around to find the exact style I wanted before I had the cash spare to go and order some.
There are loads listed as "weight rated" but none mention to what weight they are rated too. A few enquirys later proved that NONE of them were weight rated to the weight of a T5 transporter despite being listed for them. Very naughty!
As such I had to broaden my search a bit to find a suitable wheel.

Decision Made.


In the end I picked up a set of genuine VW 18" 6 spoke sport line wheels in matt black from Tamar wheels. I rang them on 01752343280 / 07793590038 direct which saves them some eBay fees and you gain a nice set of colour matched wheel bolts for free.





I took the wheels to ZR tyres who slapped on some new rubber to the wheels and did a full tracking correct which would be needed after the wheel size change not to mention the not so recent suspension mods and general life on bumpy roads.

Good bye 20's you were pimp but a shit ride.




The 18's with bigger side wall tyres still fit the wheel arches nicely and the ride is much smoother.
A nice little side effect of this was the fuel economy went up too as the narrower tyres offer less rolling resistance.
The only real loss is a little less stiffness in the corners. Probably about time I slowed down a touch anyway.
Money well spent I think!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Rails

button podging

Not so remote central locking