Pipes

Whilst fitting my floor rails I had to remove my exhaust which I noticed was pure grot.
So I thought "whilst I'm here" and got shopping for a replacement.





Well the exhaust isn't really that bad but whilst I was struggling with a ropy fastener on the mid section pipe coupling I  thought it might be a good idea to get a replacement exhaust for when I came to the refit.

The current exhaust might be good for another 80,000 miles for all I knew but the thought of refitting the stock when I could fit something new didn't sit well. Also I wanted the new shiny thing.

A new exhaust was only abut £325 and some posh looking 4 port stainless jobbers would improve the look of the car whilst being freer flowing.

I opted for the Cybox DPF back system for it's mandrill bent corners and nice looking slash cut pipes.
They arrived a bit after a couple of weeks after buying them (good job I wasn't in a rush) so tey were ready for fitting once the rails were finished.

Fitting

The pipes come in sections that slot together with clamps and jubilee clips holding things together.
Some of the Jubilee clips are very optimistic and were a complete ass pain to get on the pipe but I succeeded by sliding then from the smaller sections onto the bigger section via the expansion.
The layout of the pipes isn't immediately obvious (no instructions) but a bit of trial and error figured out the rear layout ad hangar.
From there it was a matter of tightening things up in a manner that hods everything up where it should be. The back section is poorly supported and has a tenancy to drop.
If I had a torch I'd bend the rear support which uses a trim bolt to mount to. This would help support the left pipe a little better.

That aside I think it looks good and wasn't too painful to fit. Time will tell if it drops again or not.
As for the sound: Considering a whole silencer ha been removed and the one that is there is substantially smaller, it is pretty quiet. Just a tiny bit more exhaust note can be heard from the rear and nothing from inside. I would be curious as to how much freer flowing this exhaust is.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On The Rails

button podging

Not so remote central locking